Sunday, January 13, 2008

Seriously, hospitals should be on time...

Do they not know that waiting for news is awful...20 minutes feels like hours. I slept like crap last night. Partly cause Derrick was snoring and I could hear him from the couch and partly nerves. Grandpa went in at 8 this morning to have his hip fixed. I thought mom would have called by at least 12 my time, I finallly called her at 2. He did alright through the surgery and was awake. They did have a hard time waking him up, but he should be back in his room. He didn't end up in ICU, a possibility I was totally prepared for. They did tell them before surgery that if he starts to crash, he is a no code and under no circumstances is to be put on a vent. That was not an issue. Mom said he is pretty out of it. So now we get through this and keep going. He is a tough old fart and I am hoping that he has plenty of fight left. From the way Mom sounded he does. I will feel better when I see him and know. Talking on the phone is so hard for him considering his respitory status...talking is hard for him period. But she did say that since he was on the liquid morphine he was doing better. He has good days and bad...it happens. I feel better, but still very guarded about it. After my Granddad had surgery to fix his bowels two years ago, he was good for about 3 days. The difference here is that Granddad was tired of being in a chair and not being able to do anything...he was ready and gave up. Grandpa is not ready for that. Until the other day he lived alone, and did a fairly decent job of taking care of himself. I am ready for next weekend to be here and it to be Sunday so I can go home and see him. Of course I am looking forward to my shower, I am just ready to be with my family and stuff too.

No comments: